Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Talk about the game. What game? The game with the power? What power? The power of ... aw, skip it.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryme
Site Admin

Creative player ideas for in-game items, zones, etc.

Post by Ryme »

This is the place for players to put their creative ideas for in-game items, zones, effects, etc. (Like make-a-KoL, if you've been over there.) The management makes no claims about the amount of attention they will or won't pay to this thread. We pride ourselves on our originality and mostly feel compelled to provide our own content, but we appreciate a good joke or idea as much as the next person, so feel free to share them here.
Jick

Post by Jick »

Having played a Gadgeteer for a long time and then reincarnating as a Naturalist, it occurs to me that while Gadgeteers get some measure of customization in their buffs, it seems like any given Naturalist at level X is going to be pretty much exactly the same as any other Naturalist.

The ability to choose those buffs was really novel and exciting for me, and it seems like maybe you could do the same thing with the Naturalist's wolf skill. Like, instead of Summon Wolf, it could become Summon Animal Companion, and you'd get to choose from a variety of animals with different effects on combat.

This might be stepping on the existing or future design, as I've only played this guy up to level 11 so far, and I don't know if there are any higher level animal companions.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Devant wrote:
No, there aren' any, skills stop progressing at level 11 (or 10?) at least this is unless I seriouly misunderstood something...:P
Sorry, Devant, but this isn't quite right. There in fact *are* other animal companions, and while most high-level skills don't exist, there are a couple that kick in beyond level 11.

Jick: intriguing idea, though coming up with different animals and what they'd do might take some work. Could still be a "summon lesser animal" and "summon greater animal" or something like that. Skills in general still need a lot of work.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

No worries. Just keeping the facts straight. Eventually the Wiki will take care of that for me, right?
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ross wrote:Could still be a "summon lesser animal" and "summon greater animal" or something like that.
Works for D&D.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

Devant wrote:Currently IcyFreak and me...XD
Fix'd typo. Also, since when did I become a "wiki staff"? All I'm doing is list things. >.>
Have a nice day.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Small price to pay for an extra two hours.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Man, that's a tough one to answer.

There's definitely a lot of appeal to having the players really feel like they get to be a part of the world, up to and including affecting what's in it and perhaps how it works.

There's also an equal appeal to making sure that the game maintains standards of quality, entertainment value, humor, consistency, and playability.

Those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but they can very easily diverge, and given a choice between the two--if it came down to a choice--I'd always pick the latter.

(Also, the thought of having to read through something like 10,000 submitted item descriptions--most of them probably bad and/or duplicates--just gives me the shivers.)

Short answer: probably more trouble than good. Long answer: on rare (probably one-time events) occasions, something that involves some player input might be fun.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

It would be possible, provided you had staff.

I play another online game where players (over a certain age) can submit ideas to the game (different, but akin to new equipment). The owner doesn't do anything with them, but a handful of staff members do. The staff that work on this are able to edit just about everything that was submitted (sometimes they're edited to much the player doesn't recognize the finished product). Their work is vetted by the owner to make sure it fits, though.

With a system like that, you wouldn't have to worry about reams of garbage, just polished items from people you trust already. Granted, you aren't really big enough to need a staff (even unpaid volunteers), but something like that might be workable.
IcyFreak

Post by IcyFreak »

How about letting you move out of Somerset Square? With your improved powers, you feel sure that you are able to defend yourself in a less "safe" neighbourhood, so you move to the suburbs of downtown Twilight. You find that your new house/apartment/hovel has internet access, too. Score!

And while we're on this flight of fancy... how about this. While surfing the internet one day, you come across a Web site advertising "Live at an increased level of consciousness!" Intrigued, you show up at their headquarters, where you learn that, apparently, everybody is living a dream. To reach the next level of consciousness, you have to do what sounds suspiciously like a load of bulls**t. While you're too image-conscious to do any of that over there, you try it out at home...and you suddenly wake up, realising that all that you did (or thought you did) before was a dream. You leave your apartment to get dinner...and meet the flying saucer (or whatever it is that gave you your original talisman, again).

Yay, internet!
Have a nice day.
MagiNinjA

Post by MagiNinjA »

We need a violin as an item in the game. Totally. If there isn't one.

Why? Fits in with the whole "dark" mood and stuff. If you need help on this, I can try to materialize what I was getting at. But I just can tell that it fits. :P
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Devant wrote:Relative to the elements, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to add sonic and magic damage types... I guess you put the three current ones because there were already items granting resistances to those, then again, it seems a good idea design-wise to cover everything from the begining...
Add them in what sense? You mean create a weapon that has them?

I think I've already got sonic resistance on something, and I know I've got acid resistance on one shield, so they're in the game in some sense. No weapons yet, though.

Regarding "magic," I'm not so sure that I'll ever have a magic damage. Yeah, the super powers are in and of themselves somewhat magical, but my guideline (that I just made up) is that the magic allows you to interact with things in ways that aren't understood, but for the most part it's the things themselves that then do the damage, or are affected by the magic. So magic may create fire, ice, or sonic waves, but it's not magic damage, it's damage done by one of those means.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

MagiNinjA wrote:We need a violin as an item in the game. Totally. If there isn't one.
There isn't one yet. And I was just about to say that I don't really see stringed instruments being weapons in this game, but as I was just talking about sonic damage I suppose extreme cases might be possible. But it won't be a theme like in KoL. I'd say a musical instrument could be an accessory, but in that sense you wouldn't be playing it (because your hands are full of weapons and such), it would have to contain an effect in and of itself. A miniature player piano, for instance, could accompany you and provide appropriate mood music.

Or maybe I'm missing what you were getting at. If you'd care to elaborate? Things that help set the mood are always good, but short of having actual music play in the background (don't worry, I won't do that), I'm not sure how to do that with the concept of a violin.
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Devant wrote:
Relative to sonic, I haven't checked all the items again, but if indeed there is something in that field, I suppose adding the proper entry in the resistances list in the character sheet would make this more clear :).
The resistance will appear if you have it. It shouldn't appear if you don't. That holds true for all the "elemental" types. Is it not behaving that way?
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

I figure it keeps the character page clean. After all, how often do you need something to tell you that there's nothing you need to know? If there's nothing to note, might as well keep it hidden. Especially on a page that will eventually get pretty complicated.
Cristiona

Post by Cristiona »

Ryme wrote:The resistance will appear if you have it. It shouldn't appear if you don't. That holds true for all the "elemental" types. Is it not behaving that way?
Hm. Then the Force Gloves need to be reworked a little. Their desription says "+5% resist all", but my character sheet only shows fire, cold, and electric.
The churches are empty / The priest has gone home / And we are left standing / Together alone
--October Project: "Dark Time"
Ryme
Site Admin

Post by Ryme »

Ah, yeah. Back then "all" just meant the first three, because the other two didn't exist. I'll have to fix that.